Reflexology is believed to have originated in China and has been
practiced for over 5000 years. Historical evidence also exists to
support the use of foot massage in Egyptian culture and also Inca and
North American Indian cultures.
Reflexology is based on the principle of balancing the body’s energies by using gentle pressure to massage reflex points in the feet, to unblock energy meridians and encourage the release of toxins, thereby allowing the body to heal itself. There are relative reflexes in the feet and hands which correspond to every organ and gland in the body.
Reflexologists are trained in the ancient technique using their
fingers and thumbs to work the many reflex points situated on all
surfaces of the feet.
The benefits of Reflexology include: –
- deep relaxation
- cleansing and detoxification
- enhancing flow through the body’s energy zones (meridians)
- releases endorphins and serotonin which are the body’s mood lifting and pain-killing hormones
- results in an increased sense of well-being
- improves blood and lymphatic circulation
- restores homeostasis by re-balancing body chemistry
- assists in the ability to cope with illness
- acts as a preventative to illness
- revitalises energy levels
- gives quick natural pain relief
Reflexology is an excellent therapy for those not wishing to undress or those who particular enjoy foot massage.